[yocto] Run-time discovery of machine for image compatibility check

Eystein Måløy Stenberg eystein at mender.io
Wed Sep 30 14:31:29 PDT 2015

Hi,

Before starting a bitbake build, we input the MACHINE variable in
local.conf (e.g. MACHINE ?= beaglebone).

Is there a way to detect this variable at run-time? I.e. if I have built
the image, written it to a device, and I'm now logged in to it.

The reason I want this is that I'm working on a project to deploy image
updates (remotely), and I only want to write the image if the device is
compatible with the image file. So I need to know both the
hardware/board type and what the image target is (assuming this is the
MACHINE variable alone). Then I will only write the image if they are
the same.

Also, do you think using the MACHINE variable is the right approach for
this problem? Maybe someone has had a similar problem?

I'm new to Yocto, sorry if I'm asking something obvious (but I could not
find an answer in the docs).

Thanks!

--

Eystein