[yocto] Creating a new recipe based on another recipe

Daniel. danielhilst at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 10:59:40 PDT 2015

I think you're searching for .bbappend don't?

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#using-bbappend-files

Or, maybe, put all the common things in a .inc file, create the recipes,
include the files in recipes. There is also a lot of examples of this:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky/plain/meta/recipes-bsp/hostap/

Cheers,
- dhs

> On 2015-09-28 09:30, Stuart Weaver wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a recipe for a package which builds well. I now need to add a
>> patch into certain builds. What is the best way to do this?
>>
>> 1.Is there a variable I can append the image name to (similar
>> to:/SRC_URI_image-name/)?//
>>
>> 2.Is there a way of creating a new ‘recipe 2’ that obtains the details
>> from ‘recipe 1’ and applies a patch? This way I can then simply add the new
>> recipe into any builds I want and
>> includes any future changes I make to ‘recipe 1’. This solution also
>> means not having to continuously reconfigure/recompile the original recipe!
>>
>> 3.Do I have to do it the hard way and copy the whole .bb file into a new
>> one and make sure everything is in sync when future updates are applied?
>>

> If it's just a patch, the simplest way is to use something like this:
>   SRC_URI_append_XYZ = "file://XYZ.patch"
> where XYZ is something which can identify the override.  One example
> might be where XYZ is the name of a target board (${MACHINE})
>
> There are many examples of this usage in the Poky/Yocto tree(s)

*"Do or do not. There is no try"*
  *Yoda Master*