[yocto] Creating a new recipe based on another recipe

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Mon Sep 28 08:46:09 PDT 2015

On 2015-09-28 09:30, Stuart Weaver wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a recipe for a package which builds well. I now need to add a patch into certain builds. What is the best way to do this?
>
> 1.Is there a variable I can append the image name to (similar to:/SRC_URI_image-name/)?//
>
> 2.Is there a way of creating a new ‘recipe 2’ that obtains the details from ‘recipe 1’ and applies a patch? This way I can then simply add the new recipe into any builds I want and
> includes any future changes I make to ‘recipe 1’. This solution also means not having to continuously reconfigure/recompile the original recipe!
>
> 3.Do I have to do it the hard way and copy the whole .bb file into a new one and make sure everything is in sync when future updates are applied?

If it's just a patch, the simplest way is to use something like this:
   SRC_URI_append_XYZ = "file://XYZ.patch"
where XYZ is something which can identify the override.  One example
might be where XYZ is the name of a target board (${MACHINE})

There are many examples of this usage in the Poky/Yocto tree(s)