[yocto] Webkit2gtk opengl issue

Mark O'Donovan shiftee at eircom.net
Mon Sep 28 03:51:40 PDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 10:01 PM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/23/15 07:53, Mark O'Donovan wrote:
>> I am working on an am335x based project, with a webkitgtk
>> program on the screen, displaying a simple webpage.
>>
>> I want to use a standard yocto kernel, which I believe
>> means I must do without the SGX hardware acceleration
>> until an open-source driver is available.
>
> You need to use whatever kernel the accelerated drivers were written
> against. Sometimes that can be fairly recent, other times: not so much.
>
>> Thus in fido I had added opengl to DISTRO_FEATURES_remove
>> This worked with webkitgtk 1.x
>>
>> The webkitgtk 2.x recipe  also specifies opengl as optional.
>> However it depends on gtk+3 which depends on libepoxy
>> which requires virtual/egl.
>
> For ARM SoCs/boards that have mali (which isn't your case, but is mine),
> the user-space binary-only mali drivers PROVIDE egl, so it is possible
> for me to build libepoxy with DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = "opengl" and the
> mali test app and x11 server both build and run correctly.
>
>> Is this an oversight??
>>
>> Is it possible to build webkit 2.x without opengl??
>
> I don't know. But in the mali case it is possible to have mali provide
> egl/gles1/gles2 and have mesa-gl provide an opengl-only solution as a
> fall-back for any non-egl/gles1/2 apps (or at least theoretically it is).
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks Ross, Trevor,

With webkitgtk 1.8 I was having issues with opengl present.
It seems not to be the case here.
My screen is completely blank.
I have discovered that the page fails to render due to
javascript.
Disabling JIT solves this issue.
The example below fails to render if JIT is enabled.
It will however render if I uncomment the 'alert' statement.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
<title>Test</title>
</head>
<script>
  //alert("JavaScript works")
</script>

Is there anything you would like me to test??