[yocto] bbappend a "required" bb file

Christopher Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Fri Sep 25 15:02:57 PDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 11:52 AM, Allen Curtis <
allen.curtis at curtisembedded.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Allen Curtis <
> allen.curtis at curtisembedded.com> wrote:
>
>> I am working with a BSP that has multiple image recipes.
>>>
>>> foo-hwbringup-image.bb
>>> foo-qt5demo-image.bb
>>>
>>> foo-qt5demo-image.bb contains "require foo-hwbringup-image.bb"
>>>
>>> However if I create foo-hwbringup-image.bbappend, it gets ignored.
>>>
>>> What are the rules with appending included recipes?
>>>

>> bbappends do not append arbitrary files, only recipes (and in this case,
>> the inclusion treats them as an arbitrary file). They do not apply to
>> anything included or required, only the recipe itself. So you'll need to
>> bbappend every recipe that includes foo-hwbringup-image.bb in this case.
>>

>> This is unfortunate since foo-hwbringup-image.bb is also a valid recipe.
>> It just doesn't contain the graphics support.
>>
>> Is there a better way to add your custom components to "core-image" I
>> guess…..
>>

> You could always define custom features for use in IMAGE_FEATURES and add
> them to your images via EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES in local.conf, or bbappend one
> of the core images.
>

> How is bbappend a core image different from bbappend foo-hwbringup-image?
>
> If you follow the original post one more generation,
> foo-hwbringup-image.bb "inherit core-image"

It isn't. You asked how to add custom components to a core-image, that's
one way to do it, append every image involved. Whether that works for you
depends on your requirements, and wasn't part of the question nor the
answer.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com