[yocto] Getting bitbake to use 'local' versions of local.conf/bblayers.conf

Colin Helliwell colin.helliwell at LN-Systems.com
Thu Sep 24 09:10:46 PDT 2015

Thanks Gary - I'll give that a try, looks like just what I'm after.

-----Original Message-----
From: yocto-bounces at yoctoproject.org [mailto:yocto-bounces at yoctoproject.org]
On Behalf Of Gary Thomas
Sent: 24 September 2015 16:56
To: yocto at yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [yocto] Getting bitbake to use 'local' versions of
local.conf/bblayers.conf

On 2015-09-24 09:45, Colin Helliwell wrote:
> We have an automated build which pulls our own layers & amendments
> from our version control system. We don't really want (need?) to have a
full *unpacked* Yocto in the repository too, so we have just the Fido
tarball in there, and unpack this as the first step of the build.

> But, we then need to copy our local.conf and bblayers.conf across into
> the (transient) build directory. Is there a way to tell bitbake to
> override the default ones (in
> build/local/) with ours?  I did see that it's maybe possible to set up
> variables for the 'oe-init-build-env' script, but I think this will
> still copy them into build/local/  - what we want is to leave them in
> place (so if we make any changes they will remain under, and trackable
> by, the version control)

Just put "bblayers.conf.sample" and/or "local.conf.sample" in one of your
layers.  I do this with the BSPs I build and then set up the basic
configuration quite automatically.  For example, I have a pesudo-BSP (layer)
for the RaspberryPi which includes
   meta-rpi/conf/
   meta-rpi/conf/local.conf.sample
   meta-rpi/conf/bblayers.conf.sample
   meta-rpi/conf/layer.conf
Then to configure a build using this layer I run
   % TEMPLATECONF=meta-rpi/conf . ${YOCTO}/oe-init-build-env ${BUILD}

In this way, it's easy to keep the meta-rpi under my own SCM and manage any
changes there.