[yocto] Getting bitbake to use 'local' versions of local.conf/bblayers.conf

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Sep 24 08:55:48 PDT 2015

On 2015-09-24 09:45, Colin Helliwell wrote:
> We have an automated build which pulls our own layers & amendments from our version control system. We don’t really want (need?) to have a full *unpacked* Yocto in the repository
> too, so we have just the Fido tarball in there, and unpack this as the first step of the build.
>
> But, we then need to copy our local.conf and bblayers.conf across into the (transient) build directory. Is there a way to tell bitbake to override the default ones (in
> build/local/) with ours?  I did see that it’s maybe possible to set up variables for the ‘oe-init-build-env’ script, but I think this will still copy them into build/local/  - what
> we want is to leave them in place (so if we make any changes they will remain under, and trackable by, the version control)

Just put "bblayers.conf.sample" and/or "local.conf.sample" in
one of your layers.  I do this with the BSPs I build and then
set up the basic configuration quite automatically.  For example,
I have a pesudo-BSP (layer) for the RaspberryPi which includes
   meta-rpi/conf/
   meta-rpi/conf/local.conf.sample
   meta-rpi/conf/bblayers.conf.sample
   meta-rpi/conf/layer.conf
Then to configure a build using this layer I run
   % TEMPLATECONF=meta-rpi/conf . ${YOCTO}/oe-init-build-env ${BUILD}

In this way, it's easy to keep the meta-rpi under my own SCM and
manage any changes there.