[yocto] psplash wierdness

Andy Pont andy.pont at sdcsystems.com
Wed Sep 23 08:09:55 PDT 2015

I have spent all morning fine tuning psplash on a PXE booting system using
an NFS mounted root file system (all built with Yocto 1.8 for the
intel-core2-32 machine) and all is exactly as I need.

When I boot the system using an initrd of the same file system the first
output from the init process is:

/etc/init.d/rc: /etc/rcS.d/S00psplash.sh: line 28: can't open '/dev/null'

Line 28 of S00psplash.sh corresponds to the call to /usr/bin/psplash to
display the image to hide the init messages.

Am I being a complete numpty (highly probable) or have I missed something
about using an initrd?

Thanks,

Andy.