[yocto] [systemd-devel] How to automount

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 23 01:30:48 PDT 2015

> From: Mike Looijmans
>
> This only serves to remove a mounted directory after
> "yanking" the device. It
> doesn't really do anything useful though, you'll still get corrupted
> filesystems, because Linux is way too lazy in writing out dirty data.
>
> Proper solution would be to have the system mount a removable
> device as
> read-only, and promote it to r/w once someone tries to write
> to it. And then
> after a timeout, it should go back to readonly.
>
> Supposedly, "autofs" can accomplish this, but I've never met
> anyone who got
> that to actually work.

In my system, the removable drive is used only for backing up or restoring
various data files in response to user commands. If I do a sync after each
such command, shouldn't that be enough to guarantee the file system
doesn't get corrupted when the drive is removed? Will it also ensure the
dirty flag is clear, or does that get set anyway?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com