[yocto] sunxi mali binary driver

Nicolas Aguirre aguirre.nicolas at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 11:34:20 PDT 2015

> Hello,

 Hi Trevor,

> I'm trying to build an image for my cubietruck that uses the binary
> accelerated mali driver (sunxi-mali) and have a couple questions.
>
> It was my impression that the binary user-space libraries (sunxi-mali?)
> only work with specific versions of the kernel.

sunxi-mali binary driver build by this recipe
(https://github.com/linux-sunxi/meta-sunxi/blob/master/recipes-graphics/libgles/sunxi-mali_git.bb)
only works with 3.4 kernel.
You can find some informations about sunxi-mali here :
http://linux-sunxi.org/Mali_binary_driver

The problem is that linux-sunxi 3.4.x kernel contains mali r3p0 driver
(https://github.com/linux-sunxi/linux-sunxi/tree/sunxi-3.4/drivers/gpu/mali)
where linux mainline doesn't.

> By default the cubietruck machine definition will try to build the
> upstream kernel, but by default it also sets the preferred providers of
> egl, gles1, and gles2 to sunxi-mali. Wouldn't that cause problems? If I
> want to use the accelerated, binary mali driver, don't I have to stick
> with the sunxi kernel (3.4.90) too?

We could maybe avoid the build of sunxi-mali recipe when a mainline
kernel is built.

> Best regards,
>     Trevor

Best Regards,