[yocto] Dumping sysvinit

Andy Pont andy.pont at sdcsystems.com
Mon Sep 21 03:48:22 PDT 2015

Hi Mike,

> > Back to plan A then, trying to figure out how to get Busybox init and
> mdev as the defaults in the image.
>
> Create your own distro, here's an example that uses mdev:
>
> https://github.com/topic-embedded-products/meta-
> topic/blob/master/conf/distro/tiny.conf

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this.  I have cloned it and used
it as the basis of my distro, tweaked it a bit and it is starting to behave
how I want.  There are a few anomalies that I haven't managed to figure out
yet...

Despite having VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_initscripts = "" the root file system still
contains /etc/rcX.d directories

On other embedded Linux projects that boot using Busybox init the
/etc/init.d directory contained the individual service start and kill files
e.g. S50-dropbear and K50-dropbear but I can't see how to make Yocto
populate this directory in that form.

Thoughts and guidance from anyone would be much appreciated!

Andy.