[yocto] I hate busybox!

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 13:23:19 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Paul D. DeRocco <pderocco at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> If you've got a 1GB eSSD drive, because that's the smallest you can buy,
> having a 382MB image rather than a 346MB image isn't a waste of anything.
> How much boot time increase do you think you'll get from full-featured
> command line tools? I'd be surprised if it was noticeable to anyone.

Thats one usecase and there are so many other. Usually, you want to be
mindful about OS overhead especially in embedded systems
in todays time it may be sufficient you may want to recover that space
in 5 years down the line. It depends on usecases but generally
being mindful about resource usage is always beneficial in products
life cycle embedded systems sometimes live for a very long time in
field

Generally when you have systemd which copy images to RAM and then run
from RAM would not want that extra 50 odd Megs gone
for storing extra tools in some case.

As long as we keep supporting the most common ones along with fringe
cases but with less priority we are OK.