[yocto] I hate busybox!

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 16 09:43:07 PDT 2015

> From: Mike Looijmans
>
> "Embedded" in my world is not about RAM or disk size. It's about
> building a device that has a set task in life, and nothing is as
> important as that one task. Whether that's running on an i7
> or an M3 is irrelevant.
>
> For a system to acquire and process sensor data, record your
> favorite TV
> shows, or guide a missile, there's no need for a full fledged
> bash shell
> interpreter. It just needs a bit of plumbing to get the
> application up
> and running, and that's about it.
>
> Busybox is for systems like that. For these systems, anything more is
> overkill, and will waste resources and increase the boot time.

If you've got a 1GB eSSD drive, because that's the smallest you can buy,
having a 382MB image rather than a 346MB image isn't a waste of anything.
How much boot time increase do you think you'll get from full-featured
command line tools? I'd be surprised if it was noticeable to anyone.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com