[yocto] I hate busybox!

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Wed Sep 16 00:01:36 PDT 2015

On 16-09-15 03:13, Khem Raj wrote:
>> On Sep 15, 2015, at 7:47 AM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 09/15/15 04:26, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:
>>> My embedded system has enough room in it for full-featured command line
>>> tools,...
"Embedded" in my world is not about RAM or disk size. It's about
building a device that has a set task in life, and nothing is as
important as that one task. Whether that's running on an i7 or an M3 is
irrelevant.

For a system to acquire and process sensor data, record your favorite TV
shows, or guide a missile, there's no need for a full fledged bash shell
interpreter. It just needs a bit of plumbing to get the application up
and running, and that's about it.

Busybox is for systems like that. For these systems, anything more is
overkill, and will waste resources and increase the boot time.