[yocto] Trouble installing from usb

Robert D Kocisko rkocisko at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 08:57:53 PDT 2015

Hello,

I am attempting to create an image for a fitlet-x computer (AMD A4
Micro-6400T SoC). I followed the instructions for creating a minimal image
and then used Hob to customize the minimal image as follows:

machine: genericx86-64
image recipe: core-image-minimal-dev
recipe edits: added xserver-xorg package

I then built and deployed the image to usb (.iso), and booted up the usb.
I got a grub menu with the options "boot" and "install".  If I select boot,
everything appears to be working as expected (believe it's just running the
image directly from usb).

However, when I select install, the screen goes black (does not disconnect)
and nothing happens even if I leave the system running for multiple minutes.

I've started to dive into the world of bootloaders to see if I can debug
this but it would be great to get some guiding tips from you to help guide
me in that process.

Oh I should mention that the first time I built a genericx86-64 image it
generated a warning while building yocto-kernel.  Unfortunately I didn't
record it anywhere and now it appears that that kernel recipe is cached
because subsequent builds haven't shown the same error.

Thanks in advance,
Bob