[yocto] gcc reports sysroot is /not/exist!

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Tue Sep 15 01:58:41 PDT 2015

Hi Chris,

On Tuesday 15 September 2015 09:48:34 Chris Simmonds wrote:
> I am using Yocto fido (1.8) to generate an SDK for a BeaglBone. I
> generate the it using the command:
>
> $ bitbake core-image-minimal -c populate_sdk
>
> Having installed the resulting SDK and sourced
> /opt/poky/1.8/environment-setup-cortexa8hf-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi
>
> I find that the sysroot is not set:
>
> $ arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc -print-sysroot
> /not/exist
>
> This used to work fine in 1.7 and earlier. It looks like now I have to
> use $CC in place of arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc, but that messes up many
> Makefiles which set the compiler with something like
>
> CC=$(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc
>
> What to do? Why is gcc not configured with a sysroot any more?

AIUI this had to be done in order to have a per-architecture compiler rather
than a per-machine one. I believe if you use make -e then variables set in the
environment will take precedence over those set in the makefile, which will
allow the CC value set by the SDK's environment setup script to be used.

(If we haven't documented this somewhere, we definitely ought to.)

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton