[yocto] Warning about auto generated BSP description

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 13 13:15:39 PDT 2015

I'm getting the following warning:

[kernel]: An auto generated BSP description was used, this normally
indicates a misconfiguration.
Check that your machine (chroma-bsp) has an associated kernel description.

Googling turns up the information that this is sometimes a spurious error
and nothing to worry about, because a full BSP description isn't strictly
required. However, as far as I can see I do indeed have a BSP description.
I built the BSP using the yocto-bsp tool. It created a
linux-yocto-rt_3.14.bbappend (since I'm using the RT kernel), and the
following files:

    chroma-bsp.cfg
    chroma-bsp.scc
    chroma-bsp-preempt-rt.scc
    chroma-bsp-standard.scc
    chroma-bsp-tiny.scc
    chroma-bsp-user-config.cfg
    chroma-bsp-user-features.scc
    chroma-bsp-user-patches.scc

The bbappend refers to chroma-bsp-preempt-rt.scc and the last three
(empty) files. chroma-bsp-preempt-rt.scc contains the requisite KMACHINE,
KTYPE and KARCH, and includes chroma-bsp.scc, which refers to
chroma-bsp.cfg. This seems to fit the definition of a "BSP description" in
3.4.5 of the Kernel Development Manual. The whole BSP tree is called
"meta-chroma-bsp" and that is indeed listed in my bblayers.conf. So why is
it complaining?

Also, I don't know that "Check that your machine has an associated kernel
description" means. The term "kernel description" doesn't appear anywhere
in the docs.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com