[yocto] gdb/gdbserver vs. eclipse

Robert Berger gmane at reliableembeddedsystems.com
Sat Sep 5 11:10:54 PDT 2015

Hi,

On 09/05/2015 07:17 PM, Rudolf J Streif wrote:>>
> I do not have to do that. As a matter of fact the executable on my
target is
> copied to /usr/bin from the Eclipse workspace. See "Remote Absolute
File Path"
> in the Debug Configuration.

You are right. I erased the other folder on my target, moved it there as
well and it still works.

>> 2) .gdbinit
>>
>> I copied my gdbinit on the host to
>>
>> /home/student/BBBworkspace/HelloBBBAutotooled/.gdbinit
>>

> Yes, that's where Eclipse's Debug Configuration expects it if you do
not change
> the setting of "GDB Command File" in the Main subtab of the Debugger
tab in
> the Debug configuration.

> Yes, looks like mine except that my target is a MinnowBoard Max and I
> installed my SDK in a different location.

Hmmm

>> 3) Once you enter the debug view you need to go to the gdb console and:
>>
>> source /home/student/BBBworkspace/HelloBBBAutotooled/.gdbinit
>>

> Strange. I don't have to do that if GDB command file is set to the
path in the
> workspace.

Seems to work as well without sourcing ;)

> I would expect that Eclipse passes the .gdbinit from the workspace
> explicitly to GDB. However, I do have
>

> add-auto-load-safe-path .
>
> in my global .gdbinit (~/.gdbinit).

.gdbinit loads automatically for me now, I don't need to source and also
no add-auto-load-safe-path

Which Yocto version do you use? I use 1.8

> Cheers,
> Rudi

So let's try to summarize what seems to be necessary:

1) right .gdbinit on the right place ;)
2) Debug Configurations -> Debugger -> Main -> Use full file path to set
breakpoints (might not even be necessary)
3) Debug Configurations -> Debugger -> Shared Libraries -> Load shared
library symbols automatically

Regards,

Robert
..."A successful tool is one that was used to do something undreamed of
by its author." - S. C. Johnson

My public pgp key is available,at:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90320BF1