[yocto] Autologin after bootup on the genericx86 machine

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Sep 3 07:04:08 PDT 2015

On Thursday 03 September 2015 08:31:13 Leonardo Sandoval wrote:
> On 09/03/2015 04:36 AM, Gorny Krystian wrote:
> > I'm using the fido branch and building a genericx86 machine for the
> > core-image-rt image. After my image boot up I always need to login as
> > root first, is there a way to login and start my application
> > automatically? I can't find an easy way to do this.
> On your local.conf, add the following
>
> EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = "debug-tweaks"

I don't think that's going to help, that just ensures the root password is
blank.

If your application is a background service (or a console/framebuffer
application) then you probably will want to start it as a service i.e. you'll
need to create a initscript (if you're using sysvinit) or a systemd service
file (if using systemd). We have some classes to help install and set these up
(update-rc.d and systemd respectively - these are covered in the reference
manual or you can e.g. "git grep 'inherit.*update-rc.d'" to find examples.

On the other hand if your application runs under X then you should probably
look at meta/recipes-graphics/mini-x-session; you should be able to use it as
a template for creating a session script to start your app.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton