[yocto] kernel defconfig configuration

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Thu Oct 29 06:10:13 PDT 2015

On 15-10-29 03:22 AM, Edward Wingate wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 5:36 AM, Daniel. <danielhilst at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I suggest that you do an "bitbake -fc configure YOUR_KERNEL" and
>> inspect the .config WORKDIR folder. Is that yours .config?
>
> I'm not sure if this is the WORKDIR I'm suppose to be looking at, but
> after I ran that bitbake command, I found my defconfig in
> build/tmp/work/wandboard-dual-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-wandboard/3.14.28-r0
>
> It is also in .config.old in
> build/tmp/work/wandboard-dual-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-wandboard/3.14.28-r0/build
>
> The .config in in
> build/tmp/work/wandboard-dual-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-wandboard/3.14.28-r0/build
> is not mine.  My .config seems to have been renamed to .config.old and
> replaced with this one.

That's the kernel's configuration subsystem at play, it still has to
process the the defconfig (which was placed as .config before starting
the kernel build). Invalid options are removed, others are selected
by Kconfigs, etc. So what you end up with is the processed .config and
your old one in .config.old.

Cheers,

Bruce