[yocto] Packaging an externally built library?

Jeremy A. Puhlman jpuhlman at mvista.com
Fri Oct 23 15:22:53 PDT 2015

> FILES_${PN} += " ${libdir}/*.so"
>
> If I look through the packaging logs it looks like it attampts to
> create a bunch of different packages (cdp-fsw, cdp-fsw-dbg,
> cdp-fsw-dev, cdp-fsw-doc, cdp-fsw-locale) but most of them end up
> being empty except cdp-fsw-dev.  Then if I look through the RPMs there
> is no cdp-fsw there is only a cdp-fsw-dev and cdp-fsw-dbg.
>
> Then when do_rootfs is executed it fails because it can’t find a
> package provider for cdp-fsw.
>
> Why is it automatically creating a <xxxx>-dev package? Can I override
> this?

Because the package list has PN at the end by default:
PACKAGES="${@bb.utils.contains('PTEST_ENABLED', '1', '${PN}-ptest', '',
d)} ${PN}-dbg ${PN}-staticdev ${PN}-dev ${PN}-doc ${PN}-locale
${PACKAGE_BEFORE_PN} ${PN}"
and
${PN}-dev lists ${libdir}/*.so
"${includedir} ${FILES_SOLIBSDEV} ${libdir}/*.la ${libdir}/*.o
${libdir}/pkgconfig ${datadir}/pkgconfig ${datadir}/aclocal
${base_libdir}/*.o ${libdir}/${BPN}/*.la ${base_libdir}/*.la"
As part of its files list.

When the packages-split directory is created, it processes the packages
list in order extracting the files for each package. When ${PN} is
processes "*.so" files have already been pulled
in to the ${PN}-dev package.

Normally in linux *.so files are symlinks to the actual versioned
libraries only used for linking. You can fix the binary libraries to
conform more correctly. If the library is using soname you will likely
need to do this
anyways to run applications linked against it. To get the soname you
would do:
<cross prefix>-objdump -x libz.so.1  | grep SONAME
if it gives you something like:
SONAME               libz.so.1

You would need to install the library with the name returned from
objdump, then create a .so symlink to that library. The versioned
library would get picked up in ${PN}.

If it is not using soname and the linked applications are really only
looking for lib<libname>.so, then you can redefine PACKAGES to include
just ${PN} or a subset of the normally defined
packages.

--
Jeremy A. Puhlman
jpuhlman at mvista.com