[yocto] Packaging an externally built library?

Smith, Daniel W dwsmith at ball.com
Fri Oct 23 15:05:31 PDT 2015

I have an externally built library (libcdpfsw.so) that I am trying to install in my image.  The library is written in Ada, so it is built using an external Ada compiler.  I've tested it on the target and it works, but I'd like it to be installed in my image.

I verified that the do_install works correctly by inspecting the logs and the image folder for the directory.

I'm having problems getting past the packaging and QA checks to build my rootfs.

I was originally having a problem with NO GNU HASH in the package QA check so I added these to my recipe.
#
# Set these flags to bypass Yocto build system
# QA checking because this package is built outside of Yocto.
#
INHIBIT_PACKAGE_STRIP = "1"
INHIBIT_PACKAGE_DEBUG_SPLIT = "1"
INSANE_SKIP_${PN} = "ldflags"
INSANE_SKIP_${PN}-dev = "ldflags"

FILES_${PN} += " ${libdir}/*.so"

If I look through the packaging logs it looks like it attampts to create a bunch of different packages (cdp-fsw, cdp-fsw-dbg, cdp-fsw-dev, cdp-fsw-doc, cdp-fsw-locale) but most of them end up being empty except cdp-fsw-dev.  Then if I look through the RPMs there is no cdp-fsw there is only a cdp-fsw-dev and cdp-fsw-dbg.

Then when do_rootfs is executed it fails because it can't find a package provider for cdp-fsw.

Why is it automatically creating a <xxxx>-dev package? Can I override this?

-Daniel Smith