[yocto] RFC: Yocto LTS?

Chris Simmonds chris at 2net.co.uk
Wed Oct 14 08:12:11 PDT 2015

Hi,

On 14/10/15 14:50, akuster808 wrote:
> Chris,
>

> On 10/14/2015 06:28 AM, Chris Simmonds wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a statement about the period of support for a Yocto release?
>> Looking through the updates, it seems that 12 months is typical, a was
>> the case for 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6 for example, but I cannot see a
>> declaration anywhere that this is the expected norm.
>
> There is a release every 6 months.
>
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/FAQ#What_is_the_release_cycle_of_the_Yocto_Project.3F
>

>> Leading on from that, is 12 months enough? Most projects have a
>> lifecycle that is much longer. Is there an argument for an LTS Yocto
>> release, maybe once a year? If not, what is the recommended way for a
>> project developer to keep a distribution up to date in the light of the
>> several well-publicised security flaws that have been discovered over
>> the last year or so and the new ones that will no doubt be discovered in
>> the future?
>
> At table of the current supported release can be found at
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Stable_branch_maintenance
>
> - Armin

Thanks, Armin, that is the kind of thing I was looking for. It doesn't
mention a timespan for updates, but there does seem to be an implicit
maintenance period of 12 months after release. I am still worried that
this is a rather short period of time, though, and encourages device
manufacturers to avoid ever updating boxes in the field.