[yocto] FW: packages are compiled but not included in the final image

Thanassis Silis djnass_18 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 12 10:08:56 PDT 2015

From: djnass_18 at hotmail.com
To: yocto-bounces at yoctoproject.org
Subject: [yocto] packages are compiled but not included in the final image
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 16:53:51 +0000

Hi all,
I am attempting to add a few executables that are not there by default in a "core-image-base" image.

so my conf/local.conf looks like

MACHINE ??= 'imx6qsabrelite'
#after version 1.5, use
#MACHINE ??= 'nitrogen6x'

DISTRO ?= 'poky'
PACKAGE_CLASSES ?= "package_rpm package_ipk package_deb"

#dev see http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.8/mega-manual/mega-manual.html
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES = " debug-tweaks "
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES += " package-management  "
EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURES += " ssh-server-openssh lmsensors "

USER_CLASSES ?= "buildstats image-mklibs image-prelink"
PATCHRESOLVE = "noop"
BB_DISKMON_DIRS = "\
    STOPTASKS,${TMPDIR},1G,100K \
    STOPTASKS,${DL_DIR},1G,100K \
    STOPTASKS,${SSTATE_DIR},1G,100K \
    ABORT,${TMPDIR},100M,1K \
    ABORT,${DL_DIR},100M,1K \
    ABORT,${SSTATE_DIR},100M,1K"
CONF_VERSION = "1"

BB_NUMBER_THREADS = '2'
PARALLEL_MAKE = '-j 2'
ACCEPT_FSL_EULA = ""

#webserver
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " apache2 php "

CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " rrdtool bc screen ntp minicom  "

The image has been created but I have the following problems.

while ntpd has been installed on the image and works fine, the executable ntpdate is NOT there.
bash is also missing from core-image-base . is that to be expected? Should I add it as a CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL or as an EXTRA_IMAGE_FEATURE ?