[yocto] VFAT patent EP 0 618 540

Robert Berger gmane at reliableembeddedsystems.com
Sat Oct 10 09:58:38 PDT 2015

Hi

On 10/09/2015 11:20 PM, Ayoub Zaki wrote:
> TI Socs Boot Rom code can use Vfat but does not necessarly need it as
> Bootloaders (spl, u-boot) can be loaded directly  from Raw MMC/eMMC.

I just discovered this recently. Something like:

sudo dd if=./u-boot/MLO of=${DISK} count=1 seek=1 bs=128k
sudo dd if=./u-boot/u-boot.img of=${DISK} count=2 seek=1 bs=384k

So even my made up scenario where you would need vfat on the first
partition does not hold anymore.

what about the patent and the on-chip ROMs of SoCs from Ti and Freescale
(hmm NXP? or whoever bought them lately). Maybe the SoCs are affected
since they are able to load stuff from vfat, even if we don't need to
use this feature anymore.

Regards,

Robert

..."Never express yourself more clearly than you think." - Niels Bohr

My public pgp key is available,at:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90320BF1