[yocto] VFAT patent EP 0 618 540

Robert Berger gmane at reliableembeddedsystems.com
Fri Oct 9 11:30:13 PDT 2015

Hi,

On 10/09/2015 11:36 AM, Gorny Krystian wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding the VFAT patent (EP 0 618 540) owned by
> Microsoft. It’s about common name space for long and short filenames. I
> have read that this patent was canceled by Germany / EU, but it’s still
> available in the US right? So is there a patch/option where we can
> activate to avoid this patent?

I am not a lawyer, but wouldn't it be easier not to use VFAT?
The only reason I would use it, would be because the bootloader of my
SoC would only be able to boot over FAT/FAT32 from a managed flash. A
patch will not help here as well;)

There are rumors that a fix was implemented a long time ago[1] ;)

> Thanks
>
> Krystian

Regards,

Robert

[1]
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2009/07/vfat-linux-patch-could-circumvent-microsofts-patent-claims/

> Legal information:
> Wipotec Wiege- und Positioniersysteme GmbH
> HRB 2317 Kaiserslautern, Management: T. Düppre, U. Wagner
>
> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
> If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in
> error)
> please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any
> unauthorized
> copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is
> strictly
> forbidden.

Since you are concerned about legal issues you might also want to remove
this footer when posting to public lists ;)

> --

..."Rules of Optimization: Rule1: Don't do it. Rule 2 (for experts
only): Don't do it yet." - M.A. Jackson (not the singer)

My public pgp key is available,at:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x90320BF1