[yocto] Intelligent global config files setting

Gilles CARRY gilles.carry at st.com
Fri Oct 9 00:38:26 PDT 2015

Hi,

I have a concern regarding global config files to be put into rootfs when several components need to alter a common config file.
Let me explain with an example.
I have two components (recipes) that need to write options into /etc/directfbrc.
Let's call the recipes c1.bb and c2.bb and respectively optc1 and optc2, the options they want to write to /etc/directfbrc.

The fast (and not very clean) way to do it is to centralized all the settings in a single recipe but this is not what I want. For a matter of maintenance, I would like the option settings be attached to their respective components. If c1 is not required (not in dependency list) then optc1 is not set.

I tried to use ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND in c1.bb and c2.bb but this mechanism only seems to work in images recipes. (inherit core-image)
Then I considered using base-file.bbappend in directories where c1 and c2 are stored but this does not work as base-file.bbappend is always read even though c1 or c2 are disabled.

Any clue?

Thanks,
Best regards,
Gilles.