[yocto] tmp on NFS

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Wed Oct 7 00:01:21 PDT 2015

I can think of various things that would go wrong with tmp on NFS. One of the
most obvious example would be to try and change the network configuration
while running, and needing some temporary file to manage that.\

I think the expectation is that /tmp should be accessible at all times, and
that it's local and (at least somewhat) volatile.

I tend to mount /tmp/ in RAM on all systems. Even my desktop. Not having to do
wait for a device IO queue when performing actions in /tmp/ can greatly
improve the responsiveness of the system.

If your application's /tmp/ storage requirements are such that they don't fit
in RAM, I don't think /tmp/ is the place where they should be stored.

On 07-10-15 03:37, Luke (Lucas) Starrett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anybody give a brief history of time on why using an NFS drive for tmp is
> necessarily a bad thing, and why we have a sanity check for it?  We’re doing
> this without any obvious side effects.
>
> I’m aware of the checks added by changes like this:
>
> patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/61107/
>
> However, I don’t see the reasoning/background documented as to exactly what is
> actually broken when putting tmp on NFS.  Is it time skew, problems with
> concurrent file access, something else?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Luke

Kind regards,