[yocto] Kernel header generation

Sarayu Krishna Sivanandam sarayu at zaikenn.com
Mon Nov 30 21:39:30 PST 2015

Hi Khem .

Thanks for your response. But i am not sure if i understand clearly. My
intention here is to generate kernel headers and i wanted to understand how
to do the same .

Based on some online reference , I tried to add the lines (
IMAGE_INSTALL_append
= " kernel-devsrc"
TOOLCHAIN_TARGET_TASK_append = " kernel-devsrc") in my image file but got
some errors as shown below.
ERROR: Nothing RPROVIDES 'kernel-devsrc' (but
/home/sarayu/freescale/v2.0/Freescale-Linux-SDK-for-LS1021A-Rev2-v0.4-20150803-yocto/meta-fsl-networking/images/
fsl-image-core.bb RDEPENDS on or otherwise requires it)
NOTE: Runtime target 'kernel-devsrc' is unbuildable, removing...
ERROR: Required build target 'fsl-image-core' has no buildable providers.

I understood that the kernel-devsrc.bb is not present in my SDK and i tried
to manually add it in the kernel-recipies by using the online link (
https://github.com/01org/luv-yocto/blob/master/meta/recipes-kernel/linux/kernel-devsrc.bb)
but looks like it has some additional dependencies as my build failed again
with the below error.

ERROR: ExpansionError during parsing /home/sarayu/freescale/v2.0/
Freescale-Linux-SDK-for-LS1021A-Rev2-v0.4-20150803-
yocto/meta-fsl-networking/images/fsl-image-core.bb: Failure expanding
variable KERNEL_VERSION: ExpansionError: Failure expanding variable
KERNEL_VERSION, expression was ${@get_kernelversion_headers('
/home/sarayu/freescale/v2.0/Freescale-Linux-SDK-for-
LS1021A-Rev2-v0.4-20150803-yocto/build_ls1021atwr_release/tmp/sysroots/ls1021atwr/usr/src/kernel')}
which triggered exception NameError: name 'get_kernelversion_headers' is
not defined

My question is how can we generate kernel headers from yocto source . If
you have any reference or sample for the same please do share it with me .

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks and Regards,
Sarayu K S
Tech Lead