[yocto] Change in behaviour

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Fri Nov 20 07:18:33 PST 2015

On 2015-11-20 07:56, Philip Balister wrote:
> On 11/20/2015 09:47 AM, Gary Thomas wrote:
>> This commit:
>>    commit 536b73f55f51fcea555338f9a557fe86c09d00cb
>>    Author: Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org>
>>    Date:   Sun Oct 11 10:21:20 2015 +0100
>>      bitbake: data_smart: Only support lowercase OVERRIDES
>> breaks the use of capital letters, specifically in MACHINE names.
>> I use this a lot, along with COMPATIBLE_MACHINE, to share recipes
>> amongst similar machines.
>>
>> The commit says it could be conditional.  How hard (and how)
>> would it be to do that?
>>

> A little background:
>
> http://openembedded.org/wiki/OEDEM_2015#Metadata

Fair enough + I missed the RFC for the patch that eventually went in.

That said, maybe a warning could be issued if overrides (at least MACHINEOVERRIDES)
are being defined with any upper-case letters rather than the [very silent
and hard to find] new behaviour causing issues?

I'll set off to rework all of my recipes that use upper case
letters in any way - a lot of work I'm sad to say...