[yocto] getting started...

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Sun May 31 05:16:48 PDT 2015

On Friday 29 May 2015 14:41:37 Trevor Woerner wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> On 05/27/15 16:32, Ed Sutter wrote:
> > This year I have two ongoing iMX6 based linux projects, and may need
> > to use a beaglebone
> > or RPi for some other small project.
> >
> > The point of the above detail is that I'd like to backup a bit and
> > attempt to use Yocto to
> > organize all four of these with one instance of Yocto/Poky.  Is that
> > practical?
>
> Yes, that would be a great idea!Have a look at angstrom, for example:
> http://www.angstrom-distribution.org. They build one distro for a whole
> bunch of different machines. As such, they start with a whole bunch of
> different layers, most of which are BSP layers, and then simply do:
>
> $ MACHINE=<machine> bitbake <image>
>
> e.g.
>
> $ MACHINE=raspberrypi2 bitbake angstrom-image
> $ MACHINE=beaglebone bitbake angstrom-image
>
> and build the exact same image for a bunch of different boards/machines.
>
> They've recently switched to using a repo manifest (which I think is a
> great idea): https://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/angstrom-manifest
>
> I've been playing around with doing essentially the same thing for a
> "poky" distribution here (but it's still a work-in-progress and not
> really ready for prime time yet): https://github.com/twoerner/layer-repos
>
> >   Seems
> >
> > to me that is the ideal goal of Yocto, but I don't see many BSPs
> > listed under the project
> > downloads page.
>
> Take a look here:
> http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/layers this is
> the "master" list of all the "known" layers, recipes, etc. As you can
> see, there are quite a few BSP layers.

Furthermore, you can click on the "Machines" tab i.e.

http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/machines/

Type in a keyword (or leave the box empty to see all) and hit Search, and
you'll see a list of the matching machines provided by all the layers in the

Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre