[yocto] overriding equals

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Fri May 29 14:58:55 PDT 2015

If a BSP layer sets a preferred kernel using an equals sign (e.g.
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-raspberrypi") is there any
way of overriding this decision that doesn't involve:
1) forking the layer
2) hoping the maintainer accepts a relevant patch
3) creating my own DISTRO
?

If I create my own kernel (linux-raspberrypi2-rt) in my own layer and
set PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-raspberrypi2-rt" in my
conf/local.conf, bitbake still complains that there are multiple
providers for virtual/kernel and suggests I set PREFERRED_PROVIDER

haha, very funny :-)