[yocto] Layer Priority with Wildcard .bbappend Files

Christian Magnusson mag at mag.cx
Sat May 16 04:10:36 PDT 2015

I also stumbled into this problem.
We are using a BSP from Phytec. It's using poky and Phytec made a simple
distribution in meta-yougurt.
Now I want to customize it, and made my own meta-platform to overwrite files
from the other layers. (prio 100)

# bitbake-layers show-recipes
init-ifupdown:
  meta                 1.0

# bitbake-layers show-layers
layer                 path                                      priority
meta                  /home/s22463/yocto/sources/poky/meta      5
meta-yocto            /home/s22463/yocto/sources/poky/meta-yocto  5
meta-phytec           /home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-phytec    20
meta-phyam335x        /home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-phytec/meta-phyam335x
20
meta-yogurt           /home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-yogurt    10
meta-oe               /home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-oe
6
meta-networking
/home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-networking  5
meta-python
/home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-python  7
meta-systemd
/home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-systemd  7
meta-qt5              /home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-qt5       7
meta-platform         /home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-platform  100
meta-webserver
/home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-webserver  6

# bitbake-layers show-appends
init-ifupdown_1.0.bb:

/home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-platform/recipes-core/init-ifupdown/init-ifu
pdown_1.0.bbappend

/home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-yogurt/recipes-core/init-ifupdown/init-ifupd
own_%.bbappend

Changing BBFILE_PRIORITY_platform-layer in meta-platform/conf/layer.conf
doesn't affect the order either.

If I rename
/home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-yogurt/recipes-core/init-ifupdown/init-ifupd
own_%.bbappend -> init-ifupdown_1.0.bbappend
the priority works, and my files in meta-platform are installed last, as I
want to overwrite all other files.

# mv
/home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-yogurt/recipes-core/init-ifupdown/init-ifupd
own_%.bbappend
/home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-yogurt/recipes-core/init-ifupdown/init-ifupd
own_1.0.bbappend
# bitbake-layers show-appends
init-ifupdown_1.0.bb:

/home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-yogurt/recipes-core/init-ifupdown/init-ifupd
own_1.0.bbappend

/home/s22463/yocto/sources/meta-platform/recipes-core/init-ifupdown/init-ifu
pdown_1.0.bbappend

The installation order works now, but I would rather avoid to patch the
other layers.
Changing BBFILE_PRIORITY_platform-layer in meta-platform/conf/layer.conf
now, will affect the order!, and I can install meta-plaform either before or
after the meta-yougurt layer if I want.

Does anyone know the reason to the faulty sort-order?

/Christian Magnusson