[yocto] gtk-play issues

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Thu May 14 12:55:32 PDT 2015

On 14 May 2015 at 20:40, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:

> Interesting - gst-play/gtk-play works correctly on this target.
> Now I have to figure out why it doesn't work on the other systems
> I tested.
>
> Should I submit bugs against the QEMU targets as they get it
> even more wrong than the i.MX6 targets??
>
> Query: my laptop [test device] has two ALSA sound devices,
> HDMI and the internal PCH.  It has picked the HDMI as default
> and I get no sound when no HDMI monitor attached.  How do I
> select the other sound device (from sato desktop would be
> best, but I'd settle for any answer)

Ah, the old audio playback problem.  There's a bug for that.

Sato doesn't have a GUI for this right now but the good news is that this
is something you can probably fiddle with alsamixer for now, and in master
we'll be integrating PulseAudio properly so ideally it re-routes the audio
when HDMI is hotplugged.   Obviously at this point you're expecting this
series of events to actually work:
1) GPU detects HDMI hotplug
2) GPU probes HDMI, detects audio channel
3) ALSA gets notified of the new audio channel
4) PulseAudio gets notified of the new channel and can reroute the channels

I think the key word here is YMMV, and a lot of it is up to your GPU driver
as that's where the HDMI interaction obviously happens.

Ross