[yocto] Need advice on tracking down "-dirty"

Spriggs, Jim J.Spriggs at raylase.de
Sat May 9 03:18:42 PDT 2015

Hi Bruce, List

@Bruce: many thanks indeed for your prompt reply and very helpful clue!

It turns out "-dirty" has nothing directly to do with my own recipe at all.

It appears as soon as I specify 'KERNEL_PROVIDER = "linux-altera"' in local.conf, instead of allowing the meta-altera layer's default (which is "linux-altera-ltsi") to go through.
"linux-altera" currently pulls in kernel version 3.15, whereas "linux-altera-ltsi" pulls in 3.10.

I'm using "git clone https://github.com/kraj/meta-altera" to get the altera layer.

Can anyone suggest why 3.15 should (apparently) be "dirty" straight out of the repo?
Is this actually expected behaviour?
Alternatively, what it is that I'm failing to understand about the whole yocto/bitbake mechanism?

Many thanks for your collective patience....
--
jim