[yocto] Need advice on tracking down "-dirty"

Spriggs, Jim J.Spriggs at raylase.de
Fri May 8 02:36:03 PDT 2015

Hi Guys,

Using poky dizzy with meta-altera (from OE), and trying to implement a simple loadable kernel-module by following the method outlined  in Lab3 of  https://www.yoctoproject.org/sites/default/files/kernel-lab-1.6.pdf.

I'm doing an "rm -rf tmp" before starting "bitbake virtual/kernel  my-image-recipe".

The build seems to work just fine: the kernel-module-xxxx-1.0-r0.machine.rpm appears as expected under .../deploy/...

The package installation task fails, however, with:

    error: Can't install kernel-module-xxxx-1.0-r0 at machine : no package provides kernel-3.15.0-00184-g5ae31a7

and indeed, the kernel packages available in .../deploy/... are:

    kernel-3.15-r1.machine.rpm
    kernel-3.15.0-00184-g5ae31a7-dirty-3.15-r1.machine.rpm
    kernel-dev-3.15-r1.machine.rpm
    kernel-image-3.15.0-00184-g5ae31a7-dirty-3.15-r1.machine.rpm

Yet "git status" reports "nothing to commit, w.d. clean" for both the main poky tree and the meta-altera sub-tree.

So I guess the n00b needs a clue about how to find out why and where the dirty-flag is getting set?

Thanks for listening!
--
jim spriggs

PS: the real names of module and machine have been redacted above to protect the guilty...
PPS: sorry about the company sig., I can't switch it off.

________________________________

RAYLASE AG
Argelsrieder Feld 2+4
82234 Wessling
Germany
Tel.: +49-(0)8153/88 98-0
Fax: +49-(0)8153/88 98-10
http://www.raylase.de

District Court Munich, HRB 131450

Board: Peter von Jan (CEO)

Supervisory Board: Dr. Ulrich Lohmann (Chairman)