[yocto] Yocto menuconfig not working

Gerhard de Clercq gerhard at declercqsystems.com
Wed Mar 25 03:34:28 PDT 2015

For some reason the menuconfig menu does not come up when I try launching it from my Yocto installation. I am using the Toradex Yocto 1.6 system as is described here http://developer.toradex.com/software-resources/arm-family/linux/board-support-package/openembedded-%28core%29, with my board set to "apalis-t30". When I run either bitbake virtual/kernal -c menuconfig or bitbake linux-toradex -c menuconfig, it executes fine but finishes (without erros) before actually showing anything. Running devshell also gives the same results.

If I just use the kernel sources on their own as is described here http://developer.toradex.com/software-resources/arm-family/linux/board-support-package/build-u-boot-and-linux-kernel-from-source-code, I can get menuconfig open using make nconfig. From the Yocto scripts it appears as if though the exact same kernel sources are being used. If I try adding adding make nconfig to the do_configure_prepend script in the linux-toradex_git.bb file then the commands get stuck stating that the process (I assume menuconfig) is running and then provides a PID for it, but no window or menu is displayed anywhere and the task does not seem to finish.

PS. I am on Fedora 21 64-bit.