[yocto] How do VIRTUAL-RUNTIME's work and how to create a new keymap for VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_ir_keytable-keymaps

Matt Schuckmann Matt.Schuckmann at planar.com
Sun Mar 29 09:45:00 PDT 2015

From: kergoth at gmail.com [mailto:kergoth at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Christopher Larson
Sent: Sunday, March 29, 2015 9:32 AM
To: Matt Schuckmann
Cc: Yocto Project
Subject: Re: [yocto] How do VIRTUAL-RUNTIME's work and how to create a new keymap for VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_ir_keytable-keymaps

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Matt Schuckmann <Matt.Schuckmann at planar.com<mailto:Matt.Schuckmann at planar.com>> wrote:
The v4l-utils recipe defines VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_ir-keytable-keymaps and the ir-keytable package appears to RDEPENDS on its value.

I want to define my own key map so  I think that I should create a new package, called “my-rc-keymaps”, for now it simple installs a file in /lib/udev/rc_keymaps
In my image recipe I set VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_ir-keytable-keymaps = "my-rc-keymaps"
I then added ir-keytable as a RDEPENDS of another of my packages.

The problem is I don’t see my keymap file getting added to the image, in fact it looks like the default rc-keymaps package is getting installed.

If I add “my-rc-keymaps” to the same RDEPENDS I added ir-keytable then it gets installed so I know the package is ok.

I don’t understand what’s going on here.
I also find it frustrating that I don’t see the VIRTUAL-RUNTIME mechanism documented so it makes it even harder to understand.

VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_something is just a variable. Someone defines it in the config metadata, then a recipe uses it. That's it. There's nothing magic about it, nor anything special about it. It's just a convention to let the user override the package to be used for that functionality.

Thanks Christoper, I guess that makes sense, might be nice if this was spelled out some place.

Can you help me figure out why my override isn’t working? I’ve tried running ‘bitbake –e recipe’ and ‘bitbake –u depexp –g image’ and I don’t see anything to lead me to the problem.

--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com