[yocto] How do VIRTUAL-RUNTIME's work and how to create a new keymap for VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_ir_keytable-keymaps

Matt Schuckmann Matt.Schuckmann at planar.com
Sun Mar 29 09:23:51 PDT 2015

The v4l-utils recipe defines VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_ir-keytable-keymaps and the ir-keytable package appears to RDEPENDS on its value.

I want to define my own key map so  I think that I should create a new package, called "my-rc-keymaps", for now it simple installs a file in /lib/udev/rc_keymaps
In my image recipe I set VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_ir-keytable-keymaps = "my-rc-keymaps"
I then added ir-keytable as a RDEPENDS of another of my packages.

The problem is I don't see my keymap file getting added to the image, in fact it looks like the default rc-keymaps package is getting installed.

If I add "my-rc-keymaps" to the same RDEPENDS I added ir-keytable then it gets installed so I know the package is ok.

I don't understand what's going on here.
I also find it frustrating that I don't see the VIRTUAL-RUNTIME mechanism documented so it makes it even harder to understand.

Thanks,
Matt S.