[yocto] Best practices for copying recipe from a newer release

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 19:52:57 PDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 01:56:27PM -0700, Matt Schuckmann wrote:
> I find myself in the situation where my project is currently using meta-openembedded from the Dylan branch but I want to use a recipe from the current master.
> Is it better for me to copy the recipe into my own branch off of Dylan or to copy the recipe into my own meta-layer?
>
> What works out better later on when I want update by project to use a newer release like Daisy, etc?

In Open webOS we have meta-webos-backports layer where we're backporting
recipes and bbclass from the very next release when needed.

The problem with this implementation was when we were more than one
release behind (like you, we were using dylan and backporting stuff from
dora, daisy, dizzy and master.

So now we have one layer per release we're backporting from:
meta-webos-backports-1.5
meta-webos-backports-1.6
meta-webos-backports-1.7
meta-webos-backports-1.8
We're using numeric versions, because codename isn't known from the
beginning of the next release cycle and sometimes you need to backport
from "master" branch.

The main advantage of this approach is that when upgrading to next
release, you can just drop some meta-webos-backports-* layers from your
bblayers.conf and the resulting metadata shouldn't change that much (you
sometimes need to do some small tweaks in backported recipes, but at
least functionality wise you shouldn't see any difference)

Regards,