[yocto] Sharing sstate

Mike Looijmans mike.looijmans at topic.nl
Fri Mar 27 00:46:09 PDT 2015

On 26-03-15 14:44, Gary Thomas wrote:
> I have two development servers, one running an older version
> of Fedora (x86 *), the other runs a recent Ubuntu (x86_64).
> Both are the same CPU core (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz)
>
> I've just tried building the same target, using the same version
> of Poky/Yocto, sharing the sstate cache (fully populated) from
> the x86_64 machine with the x86 machine.  This was done using
> HTTP.  Sadly, there was not a single file found in the cache
> that could be used.
>
> Should this not be expected to work?  Does sstate cache only
> work across like systems (32 vs 64 bit hosts)?

The hosts need to be similar for the build tools to be recycled. If they have
different OS versions, or even different CFLAGS you'll see a rebuild of
"native" packages.

It should however be able to recycle things for the target, because these
should not depend on the build host's configuration.

We currently have a "server" with ubuntu 12 on it, while most "clients" run
14. Typically the clients build their own tools, but they do re-use all target
packages (like FPGA bitstream and ARM software packages).

> Also, Mark Hatle mentioned a few days ago that there are ways
> to "lock" versions of the sstate cache.  I still haven't found
> any info/documentation on this.  Can someone please explain more?
>
> Thanks
>
> (*) I can't update my x86 machine to a more recent (x86_64)
> distribution as I have many older "projects" that only run
> on that hardware and no time/opportunity to upgrade, hence
> my desire to share in this manner.

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert