[yocto] Sharing sstate

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Mar 26 06:44:44 PDT 2015

I have two development servers, one running an older version
of Fedora (x86 *), the other runs a recent Ubuntu (x86_64).
Both are the same CPU core (Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz)

I've just tried building the same target, using the same version
of Poky/Yocto, sharing the sstate cache (fully populated) from
the x86_64 machine with the x86 machine.  This was done using
HTTP.  Sadly, there was not a single file found in the cache
that could be used.

Should this not be expected to work?  Does sstate cache only
work across like systems (32 vs 64 bit hosts)?

Also, Mark Hatle mentioned a few days ago that there are ways
to "lock" versions of the sstate cache.  I still haven't found
any info/documentation on this.  Can someone please explain more?

Thanks

(*) I can't update my x86 machine to a more recent (x86_64)
distribution as I have many older "projects" that only run
on that hardware and no time/opportunity to upgrade, hence
my desire to share in this manner.