[yocto] Embedded Linux Package Management

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Fri Mar 20 03:26:43 PDT 2015

On 20/03/2015 11:15, Prasant J wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Alex J Lennon
> <ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 20/03/2015 09:34, Prasant J wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for package management for my embedded linux systems
>> (yocto on armv7 iMX6Q)
>>

>> I'm looking for the following features:
>>
>> (a) Install & remove a package
>> (b) Install packages and its dependencies
>> (c) Install a package with conflicts, such that the conflicting
>> package is force removed
>> (d) A local location with packages should serve as a package source
>> (e) Remote server package (http file server based)
>> (f) List of my packages installed
>> (g) List of my packages not installed but available on the http file server
>> (h) List of my packages that have updates (new version)
>> (i) To be able to manage packages for multiple architectures (eg. rpm
>> can produce packages for multiple architectures using one spec file)
>>

>> The above features will be invoked by the application GUI.
>> Any suggestions: which package management solution would answer all
>> the above use cases?
>>

>> (e) I use smart + RPM. I have a remote package server setup via this in
>> local.conf
>>
>> FEED_DEPLOYDIR_BASE_URI = "http://packages.foo.bar"
>>
>> Then I'm rsyncing the files up to the server after a bitbake package-index.
>>
>> Then smart update / search / install
>>
>> That seems to work well in my testing.
>>

> Hi Alex,
>
> Thanks for inputs!
>
> Is smart development stopped?
>
> When I look at their mailing list it, the last posts were in Nov 2014.
> It looks like no more development for smart package manager. I would
> then tend to say that it will not be a right way for me.

I don't know. To me the question would be does it do want I need it to
do as well as I need it to do it,
rather than asking whether there is a lot of activity. One might take
the view that if it is doing its job,
a lack of activity is a sign that it's a mature piece of software that
needs little further development.

You'll have to make that decision yourself.

My understanding is that smart is the recommended way to do things (at
least it was what was
recommended to me) - https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Smart

Regards, Alex