[yocto] Kernel configuration fragments and defconfig from kernel source tree, not meta layer file

Ashfield, Bruce Bruce.Ashfield at windriver.com
Tue Mar 17 14:12:34 PDT 2015

On Mar 17, 2015, at 4:04 PM, Andrei Gherzan <andrei at gherzan.ro<mailto:andrei at gherzan.ro>> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 9:08 PM, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield at gmail.com<mailto:bruce.ashfield at gmail.com>> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Alex J Lennon
<ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk<mailto:ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk>> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking into a request to have Yocto kernel configuration
> fragment support in meta-raspberrypi with a defconfig which is pulled
> from the kernel source tree for the configured machine.
>
> My understanding is that Yocto expects the defconfig file to be supplied
> in the meta-layer and then configured with SRC_URI += "file://defconfig"
>
> We'd prefer not to maintain copies of defconfigs, instead using the true
> default configuration from the kernel tree and allowing users to add
> their own .cfg fragments to the SRC_URI via, say, .bbappends.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I'd say I hate to see defconfigs
at all ;)

But back on topic, this is something I can change, it is simply that
when I first put together the linux-yocto kernel configuration steps,
that most defconfigs were actually out of tree, and not within the kernel
tree itself.

> It's easy enough to _prepend() a function to copy the appropriate
> defconfig from the kernel source to the working directory, but I am
> having a problem as do_patch() in kernel-yocto.bbclass seems to require
> a defconfig file from the layer itself via use of SRC_URI in find_sccs().
>
> Any thoughts? Thanks,

Pop an enhancement request into the yocto bugzilla and assign it to
me. I can take care of it from there.

But just to be clear, this will have to stay out of oe-core for a bit, since
it is past feature freeze for 1.8 and even bug fixes are cut off shortly.

There is absolutely no way we can have this for 1.8? It's a minor thing. And would help us a lot.

To do this right .. It isn't completely minor (not huge ... But not trivial). We'll be exposing / creating an interface for this to any number of recipes. I'd rather do it once, than to do it quickly and have to fix it three times. Or come up with something clunky.

Making a temporary copy of those defconfigs carries no risk to the release ... So we have to balance and consider that

That being said, I'll see what I can do and can log it in a bugzilla ... There are some tools only options (versus tools and recipes)

Bruce

--
Andrei Gherzan