[yocto] Kernel configuration fragments and defconfig from kernel source tree, not meta layer file

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 13:08:01 PDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 1:57 PM, Alex J Lennon
<ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking into a request to have Yocto kernel configuration
> fragment support in meta-raspberrypi with a defconfig which is pulled
> from the kernel source tree for the configured machine.
>
> My understanding is that Yocto expects the defconfig file to be supplied
> in the meta-layer and then configured with SRC_URI += "file://defconfig"
>
> We'd prefer not to maintain copies of defconfigs, instead using the true
> default configuration from the kernel tree and allowing users to add
> their own .cfg fragments to the SRC_URI via, say, .bbappends.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I'd say I hate to see defconfigs
at all ;)

But back on topic, this is something I can change, it is simply that
when I first put together the linux-yocto kernel configuration steps,
that most defconfigs were actually out of tree, and not within the kernel
tree itself.

> It's easy enough to _prepend() a function to copy the appropriate
> defconfig from the kernel source to the working directory, but I am
> having a problem as do_patch() in kernel-yocto.bbclass seems to require
> a defconfig file from the layer itself via use of SRC_URI in find_sccs().
>
> Any thoughts? Thanks,

Pop an enhancement request into the yocto bugzilla and assign it to
me. I can take care of it from there.

But just to be clear, this will have to stay out of oe-core for a bit, since
it is past feature freeze for 1.8 and even bug fixes are cut off shortly.

Cheers,

Bruce

> Alex

thee at its end"