[yocto] eclipe-yocto: SDKTARGETSYSROOT not being expanded correctly

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Mon Mar 16 06:09:34 PDT 2015

I am using version 1.6.2 of the Yocto Eclipse plug-in (from http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/releases/eclipse-plugin/1.6.2/kepler/) under Fedora 21.  After some recent issues with getting the plug-in to compile my application, I noticed that I am having a variable expansion problem with CC.

I followed the instructions for building an SDK for my image and I am using the pre-built toolchain.  In the environment script for the SDK, CC is defined as follows:

	export CC="arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc  -march=armv5te -marm -mthumb-interwork -mtune=arm926ej-s --sysroot=$SDKTARGETSYSROOT"

I then generate new a simple Yocto Hello World C project and build the application.  It builds just fine, but I see the following in the console output:

	arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc  -march=armv5te -marm -mthumb-interwork -mtune=arm926ej-s --sysroot=DKTARGETSYSROOT

However, if I go to Project->Properties->C/C++ Build->Environment and change the CC environment variable to the following:

	arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc  -march=armv5te -marm -mthumb-interwork -mtune=arm926ej-s --sysroot=${SDKTARGETSYSROOT}

then the SDKTARGETSYSROOT is properly expanded to the correct value.  Is anyone else seeing this problem, or is this due to the version of tools that exist on Fedora 21?

Thanks,
Bryan