[yocto] Using Pre Built Toolchain in Yocto Tree

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Fri Mar 13 07:47:22 PDT 2015

On 3/13/15 6:43 AM, Darshan Patel wrote:
> Is there a way to configure Yocto to use Pre Built toolchain (like downloaded
> from CodeSourcery, etc.). I want to avoid building toolchain because it takes
> too much time and using new toolchain is not of my concern.

If you wish to use the Mentor Sourcery toolchain, they have a layer available
that allows you to incorporate it.

https://github.com/MentorEmbedded/meta-sourcery

I have not used this layer in a while (and I don't work for Mentor), so if you
have questions you may need to find someone who is more familiar with the layer.

There is another alternative though.  Build the toolchain once, store the
sstate-cache files that were generated and use those on subsequent builds.
There is a mechanism called the locked sstate-cache where you can feed into your
configuration the hashes for the sstate-cache item you are interested in.  This
will tell the system to simply re-use the components, and ignore any system
changes that may have occurred.

--Mark