[yocto] Question about doing different builds: Release, Debug, Test, etc.

Paul Allex pallex at networkinstruments.com
Tue Mar 10 15:59:42 PDT 2015

Hello,

I'm trying to get up to speed on Yocto and Poky, so please forgive me if I don't get my terminology quite right.

My basic question is, what is the preferred way to easily manage different kinds of builds within the Yocto environment? In our case, we would like to have a debug build and a release build. The main difference between the two being which custom preprocessor macros are enabled and which ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMANDs to run.

We have played around with adding different layers and recipes, but seem to keep running into different issues. For example, we tried to make a debug and release version of our layer and application recipe, but found issues with two recipes trying to provide the same set of files. The forums and guides have very helpful, but we still can't find a really good solution.

Our goal was to have a very simple process where we can execute something like "bitbake our-image-debug" and "bitbake our-image-release".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul