[yocto] Different u-boot recipes (machine names and provider)

Jens Lucius incnews at jenslucius.de
Fri Mar 6 04:29:13 PST 2015

Hello,

I am working on a custom machine layer, which until now has it´s own
u-boot recipe for a custom u-boot.

I want to add a recipe for mainline u-boot additional to that. I have
defined a PREFERRED_PROVIDER_u-boot and
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/bootloader which point to the custom u-boot
to not break the current build, which can be changed to the mainline
u-boot if needed to build the mainline.

First question: Do I need to define both PREFERRED_PROVIDER (u-boot and
virtual/bootloader)? I have seen different approaches in different layers.

Now the hard part: custom u-boot and mainline u-boot have different
UBOOT_MACHINE values for the same hardware. Is it possible to define
different values for different u-boot recipes? Right now they are
defined in the machine configurations. Would it be possible (and
advisable) to define them in the u-boot recipes themselves? Or is there
another approach ?

Thanks,

Jens