[yocto] New gst-player

Nicolas Dechesne nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org
Thu Mar 5 05:47:46 PST 2015

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 2:44 PM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> On 2015-03-05 06:40, Nicolas Dechesne wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sadly, it doesn't build with the libav we have in OE-core :-(
>>>
>>> BTW, I measured the current used by my board (i.MX6Q)
>>>    mplayer2 => 1.8A
>>>    gst-play => 2.1A
>>> Given that I normally run my board with a 2.0A wall brick,
>>> it's no wonder that it dies when I run gst-play.
>>

>> ouch. that's quite a difference. when you play video this is no just
>> about the decoders, but also how video is rendered. can you
>> check/compare what's the overall pipeline, including any processing
>> done on the video buffers (YUV) after the decoder (including up/down
>> scaling, color conversion, ...).
>

> How would I get that info (short of hacking the library)?

for Gstreamer you can print/display the actual pipeline by doing:

export GST_DEBUG_DUMP_DOT_DIR=/tmp

and then run your standard Gstreamer application, it will create .dot
files in /tmp (you can use another folder), at each stage of the
pipeline, you can print/share the pipeline when transitioning from
PAUSE to PLAYING. The .dot file can be converted to a nice graph,
using graphviz tool (e.g. dot -Tpng -O xxx.dot)

that will give you all the information about the multimedia pipeline.

for mplayer, i don't know how to get the same info..